spacer graphic

Lower Mills

27 Richmond Street, Dorchester, MA 02124

Branch Librarian: Margaret Phillibert


12 p.m.–8 p.m.
10 a.m.–6 p.m.
10 a.m.–6 p.m.
12 p.m.–8 p.m.
9 a.m.–5 p.m.
9 a.m.–2 p.m.
spacer graphic
spacer graphic
exterior of branch

Hours & Directions

Current programs and activities

The Lower Mills Branch on Facebook Facebook

The Lower Mills Branch on Twitter Twitter

More information about the Lower Mills community

spacer graphic


The branch has a particularly strong mystery collection, and has been building its medical study and reference collection to support the schools and colleges in the neighborhood. The fiction collection continues to expand, providing various genres for diverse readers. Books and ephemera related to Dorchester, and particularly Lower Mills, history are well represented in the collection.


Preschool story hours are offered twice weekly for children. We often partner with other organizations to have a variety of children's programs. Pre-school films are also shown weekly. Students who attend the Pope John Paul II Academy, Lower Mills campus and The Charles Taylor Elementary School use the branch daily. Teachers also bring classes to check out material that may support their curriculum. For adults, the Book Discussion Group meets every third Thursday of the month. Beginners Internet instruction is available weekly.


We are now focusing on hands on programs for Adults like our Mosaic Class, Learn How to Knit, etc. Less emphasis on lecture type programs.

Lecture programs are typically offered in the fall or spring focusing on a variety of topics including local history. In June, an Outdoor Music Concert is held. Summer reading programs are offered for children and additional events are scheduled during these months.


Library service in Lower Mills was first offered through a branch delivery post in 1875; it was open three hours each day to take requests for books and to deliver books requested from the Central Library and the Dorchester Branch. Full branch services began in 1876 with a dedicated collection and expanded hours. In 1883, branch service was moved into the vacated Blue Hills Bank building. In 1931, space owned by the American Legion was purchased and in 1936 a small addition was completed. Eventually the collection outgrew that building and the present Lower Mills Branch building was opened in 1981.

In 2005, the branch was renovated, a new façade was designed, and the heating and cooling systems were up-dated. The building in general got a “face lift” and is bright and airy.

The Gilbert Stuart School was located where the branch now stands. The Stuart school was built in 1896 and patrons often say they attended the Gilbert Stuart School!! The Lower Mills branch was built in 1981.