Even as construction of Phase 1 is well underway in Copley Square, the designs for each of the components in Phase 1 are still receiving final touches. The second floor of the Johnson building improvements include:
- Children’s Library, with four specialized areas: early literacy, story time, tweens, and a program room.
- Teen Central with a digital lab, lounge for gaming and films, and quiet study area.
- Nonfiction collection with integrated displays of the library’s art, maps, manuscripts, photographs, and more.
- Reference point.
- Public restrooms.
- Community reading area.
In conjunction with the Phase 1 areas listed above, the following improvements will also be completed in time for the reopening of the second floor, scheduled for early 2015:
- Replacement of the second floor windows and curtain wall systems.
- Upgrades to the railing in Deferrari Hall from the first floor stairs to the second floor balcony; an improvement required by new building codes.
Pictured below (starting at the top, left and moving clockwise) are renderings of the entrance to the Children’s Library, the main reference point on the second floor, the entrance to Teen Central, and a view into the community reading area.