New pay-for-print service kiosks will be arriving at the Central Library and the branches over the summer. At the Central Library, the kiosks will be installed area-by-area throughout the building to directly replace the existing pay-for-print machines. The area scheduled for the first installation at the Central Library is Tech Central.
At the branches, the kiosks will be delivered and placed near already-identified kiosk location. A group from the library’s IT team will visit each branch once required software upgrades are ready. The IT team will demonstrate to branch colleagues how the kiosks will be used by library patrons, and will conduct training for the branch staff.
Implementing this new system has several benefits:
- Patrons will use a single system system for printing and copying
- Introduction of a credit card payment option, which is in response to many requests
- An option to pay overdue fines via the kiosk
- Submission of print jobs via mobile devices (limited initially to any laptop on the BPL WIFI network)
- Producing satisfactory audit reports
- Existing equipment is unreliable; a problem for public, staff, and IT support.