Boston Public Library
Government Information

Social Sciences Department, 2nd Floor, McKim Building, Central Library, 617-859-2261

Boston Records Commissioners’ Reports (1674-1822)

The office of Record Commissioner was established in 1875 “to complete, as far as practicable, the record of births, deaths, and marriages in the town and city of Boston prior to A.D. 1849.” In 1892 the office was consolidated with the City Clerk’s Office. In 1900 the series’ name changed to Records Relating to the Early History of Boston, reflecting a change in the focus of the series. By the time the final volume was published in 1909, a good portion of Boston’s early historical documents had been reprinted through the series.

Volumes

Vol 29, records from the Boston fire of 1760, Lists of Freemen, names of those who took an oath of allegiance, book of allowances (building with timber), lists of inhabitants 1698, ships arriving in Boston 1715-1769 with passengers’ names, lists of scholars 1768, list of cows 1774, list of persons with arms 1775, list of watchmen 1775, list of returned arms 1778, index.