According to the Deloitte study, The Medical Device Industry in Massachusetts, presented at the Massachusetts Medical Device Industry Council 15th Annual Conference, May 3, 2011:
- Massachusetts is home to more than 400 medical device companies, with surgical and medical instrument manufacturers leading the pack
- The BayState is the second largest employer of people in the medical device industry behind only California, employing 24,268 within seven medical device manufacturing categories. Furthermore, the Massachusetts medical device industry is responsible for creating more than 80,000 jobs in related industries in the state.
- While heavily concentrated in Eastern Massachusetts, medical device firms are present in almost all regions of the state
- Massachusetts medical device firms received $286 million, or 12 percent of national medical device venture funds in 2010
- Over the past decade,Massachusetts medical device exports have been growing at more than twice the rate of the state’s exports as a whole
- Medical devices are more than 10 percent of the state’s total exports and represent $1 out of every $10 of U.S. medical device exports