The following is a list of some of the useful sources for researching company histories at the Kirstein Business Library.
- Publications of the Newcomen Society — published speeches on company histories delivered at Society meetings (usually by presidents/CEOs).
- Orra Stone’s History of Massachusetts Industries (1930). Useful for finding basic information on local companies doing business prior to 1930.
- International Directory of Company Histories (St. James Press). This source, a multi-volume set, includes 2-3 page histories on over 2000 public and private companies. A brief bibliography is provided for each company. This publication is available remotely through The Business and Company Resource Center database. Go to the Advanced Search page, change Content Area to Histories and search for your company.
- Mergent Manuals (Formerly Moody’s Manuals) have histories of publically traded companies. Kirstein has these in print from 1930- present, and from 1909-1997 in microfiche (dates vary). More recent years of the Mergent Manual information can be accessed in the Mergent Online database which is available remotely.
- Company histories clipped from various newspapers and other periodicals.
- The Kirstein Business Library regularly collects books detailing corporate histories.