The following is a list of some of the useful sources for researching company histories at the Kirstein Business Library.
- Publications of the Newcomen Society — published speeches on company histories delivered at Society meetings (usually by presidents/CEOs).
- Orra Stone’s History of Massachusetts Industries (1930). Useful for finding basic information on local companies doing business prior to 1930.
- International Directory of Company Histories (St. James Press). This source, a multi-volume set, includes 2-3 page histories on over 2000 public and private companies. A brief bibliography is provided for each company. This publication is available remotely through the Business Insights: Essentials database. Go to the Advanced Search page, change Content Type to Company Histories and search for your company.
- Mergent Manuals (Formerly Moody’s Manuals) have histories of publically traded companies. Kirstein has these in print from 1930- present. More recent years of the Mergent Manual information can be accessed in the Mergent Online database which is available remotely.
- Mergent Archives–Historical Annual Report Collection — covers more than 85 years of annual reports for companies across the globe dating back to as early as 1925.
- The Kirstein Business Library regularly collects books detailing corporate histories.