Using the Kirstein Business Library’s Career resources, you can learn about careers, find and apply for jobs, prepare for interviews and more. Below are links to databases, helpful websites and other resources to help advance your career. Download our handout highlighting the Boston Public Library electronic resources available for jobseekers.
- Career Transitions
Career Transitions can help you at every stage of your career. Create resumes and cover letters, search job postings and prepare for a job interview. If you are looking to change professions, Career Transitions contains information about occupations and careers, and lets you search for schools and programs.
Use AtoZdatabases to research potential employers. Find contact information, executives’ names, estimated sales and size, or create specific lists of companies based on criteria such as location, SIC or NAISC code, and company size.
Programs and Classes for Jobseekers
- Computer Skills – The Boston Public Library offers continuous classes on basic computer skills, email, Internet basics, word processing programs and more. View or download the calendar for the Central Library at Copley Square and check for classes being offered at local branches and other locations around the city.
- LearningExpress Library (formerly LearnATest)
This site provides test-preparation materials and interactive practice exams for all ages. In addition to subject-based resources for students from grade school through college, LearningExpress offers practice exams for adults. Based on official tests, they help job-seekers improve your scores on civil service, military, professional licensing, and certification exams. This resource offers immediate scoring with complete answer explanations and individualized analysis of scores
- Test Prep Collection – Search our catalog for circulating print material.
Job Search & Career Planning Websites
- Job Listings
Begin your job search now with any of these sites.
- Career Centers and Training Programs in Boston
Locations and overview of the services offered through the one-stop career centers and other organizations in Boston.
- Career Planning Online
Links to websites covering areas of occupational outlook, salary surveys, and general career advice.
- City of Boston – Jobs and Community Service
Page for the Mayor’s Office of Jobs and Community Service. Check for upcoming programs, job fairs, and resources in your neighborhood.
- Unemployment Information in Massachusetts
Links to unemployment information in the state, as well Massachusetts laws about unemployment.
- Salary Surveys
Search salaries from over 50 million jobs in the last year by specific location.
- The Kirstein Business Library has a collection of resume, cover letter, interviewing and exam preparation books available to check out and take home. To search for titles, use our online catalog.
- View a bibliography of reference material covering salary surveys, occupational outlooks and trends, and and career advice.