Posted on June 25th, 2014 by Amber De Angelis in Electronic Resources, Kirstein Business Library
Tags: amber, General OneFile, LinkedIn, networking
This is part 1 of a series on networking better.
Why is networking important? Well, it’s an opportunity to meet new people and to find new resources. When most people thing of networking they think of LinkedIn. That’s only part of the story.
Do your research!
Remember these words: Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
By researching the event beforehand, one can make an effective attack plan. Maybe you want new clients or maybe you just want to connect with former colleagues to catch up. Keeping your goals in the back of your mind will help you focus and maximize your limited time with these influential people.
Read more »
Posted on April 17th, 2014 by Gregor Smart in Electronic Resources
Take a look into Boston’s past by searching our electronic resource, The Making of the Modern World.
This Gale database looks at history through the lens of wealth and trade with a focus on economics in the widest sense, including political science, history, philosophy, sociology, and special collections on banking, finance, transportation and manufacturing.
Some sample titles to pique your interest:
- Boston, a commercial metropolis in 1850 : her growth, population, wealth and
- Boston notions : being an authentic and concise account of “that village” from
1630 to 1847
- Report on introducing pure water into the City of Boston, 1835
- The Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation, 1818
- The Rules of work, of the carpenters, in the town of Boston. Formed, and most
accurately corrected, by a large number of the first workmen of the Boston, 1800
- A state of the importations from Great-Britain into the port of Boston, from the
beginning of Jan. 1769, to Aug. 17th 1769
Posted on April 10th, 2014 by Gregor Smart in Electronic Resources, Kirstein Business Library
Have you tried hoopla yet? It’s the library’s new video streaming service. In addition to movies, music, and television, this resource offers a number of titles for jumpstarting your career or for starting a business. Try hoopla today!
Business SoftSkills Series
INTELECOM – Intelligent Communications ENGLISH 2009
Business SoftSkills is a complete and concise video curriculum that can either be self taught or used in a classroom or seminar settings as part of job readiness programs. Professionally-produced videos use virtual hosts along with short, informative chapters to convey key workplace skills.
Young Entrepreneurs: A Comprehensive Video Series On How To Start And Grow Your Business
TVG TeleTime Video Productions ENGLISH 2011
A series of interview excerpts from business leaders, discussing various topics related to starting and sustaining a successful business.
Read more »
Posted on March 2nd, 2014 by Gregor Smart in Electronic Resources
Looking for demographic information? The library offers remote access to DemographicsNow: Business & People.
- Access a demographic report on any geography – or compare multiple geographies – for information including income, housing, race, age, education, retail spending, consumer expenditures, businesses and more.
- Search for an individual company or create a mailing list of multiple companies from over 20 million active businesses. Search by company name, executive title, business type, and more. Now including a separate Physicians/Dentists directory.
- Search for an individual, a friend, a relative or create a market research list from over 206 million people and 135 million households. Search by name, address, telephone or by a variety of U.S. Census neighborhood data averages.
Posted on January 9th, 2014 by Amber De Angelis in Electronic Resources, Internet Resources
Tags: amber, books, Career Resources, Career Transitions, evernote, Mango, new year, Reserve Inc
It’s a new year! It’s the perfect time to pick up good habits or learn something new. Actually, any time is a good time to do those, you just need the right tools and the drive to do it. Luckily for you, the Boston Public Library and the web have some great resources to help you kick off your new year right.
Read more »