Posted on November 22nd, 2013 by Gregor Smart in Electronic Resources, Kirstein Business Library
Did you know:
- US casinos had a total gross gaming win of $98.4bn in 2012
- The US frozen food market has a value of $33.1 billion
- The functional drinks market had total revenues of $25,173.9m in 2012
If you’re looking for market intelligence don’t forget to check for a Datamonitor Industry Market Report using Business Insights: Essentials. With full-text coverage back to 1998, this resource offers analysis for the following six industry sectors:
- Energy and Utilities
- Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare
To find Datamonitor reports, run an Advanced Search and limit your search to”Market Research Reports” under the “Content Type” drop-down box.
Posted on November 7th, 2013 by Gregor Smart in Electronic Resources, Kirstein Business Library
Looking to invest your money in a socially conscious mutual fund? Try running a screen using the Morningstar Investment Research Center.
Morningstar defines a socially conscious fund as:
“Any fund that invests according to non-economic guidelines. Such funds may make investments based on such issues as environmental responsibility, human rights, or religious views. A socially responsible fund may take a pro-active stance by selectively investing in, for example, environmentally-friendly companies, or firms with good employee relations. This group also includes funds that avoid investing in companies involved in promoting alcohol, tobacco, or gambling, or in the defense industry.”
To learn how to screen for these funds:
Read more »
Posted on October 30th, 2013 by Gregor Smart in Electronic Resources, Kirstein Business Library
Have you used up your ten free articles for the month on the New York Times website? Don’t fret, the library offers patrons access back to 1851.
Have fun checking out business stories from years gone by. Here are a few:
Calls Television ‘Economic Riddle”: Zenith Offical Says Industry Must Solve Problem to Enable Its future Growth
25 Jan 1945: 25
Television must solve its “economic riddle” if it is to fulfill its promise of becoming a great industry, and some method other than advertising revenue must be found to pay the terrific cost of …
Dow 1,000 By Year-End Seen Possible
VARTAN, VARTANIG G.
20 Oct 1968: F1.
The strong momentum of the stock market, buoyed late last week by hints of a new proposal to halt the bombing in North Vietnam, sent Wall Street chattering anew about the Dow and it’s “magic” milestone.
Stereo-to-Go–and Only You Can Hear It: For the Thinking Man
By Ron Alexander
07 July 1980: B12
Josh Lansing and the young blonde woman had never even met before, but as they passed each other on Madison Avenue the other afternoon, she waved and smiled and he tipped his headphones in salute. This, it should be understood, was not your stereotypical pickup. It was, rather, a stereophonic encounter.
Posted on October 26th, 2013 by Gregor Smart in Electronic Resources, Kirstein Business Library
Need to find top companies or industries in any given area? Our AtoZdatabases electronic resource offers a searchable database of over 30 million US companies. Here is a screening of the largest public companies with headquarters in the Boston Metro Area.
To see the largest public companies for the St. Louis Metro Area click below.
Read more »
Posted on October 17th, 2013 by Gregor Smart in Electronic Resources, Kirstein Business Library
The ProQuest Dissertation & Theses electronic resource is the go to source for locating dissertations and theses. Available via in-library use only.
- Dissertation and theses from around the world from 1861 – Present
- Over a million full text dissertations available for download in PDF format
- More than 70,000 dissertations and are added each year
- Dissertations published since July 1980 includes a 350-word abstract written by the author
- Master’s theses published since 1988 include 150-word abstracts
Here are some recent results when searching under the subject category, “Entrepreneurship”:
- CEOs’ Transformational Leadership and Managers’ Innovative Behavior: The Investigation of Intervening Effects in an Entrepreneurial Context
- Executive coaching practices: What do executive coaches do?
- The effect of type of education on an individual’s self employment choice: Comparison of vocational and college education
- The up-and-comers: A design system for the new entrepreneurs’ urban approach
- The art of the elevator pitch: A qualitative study on the key rhetorical features of a successful venture capital pitch
- Founder succession in small businesses
- Connecting the business mind and the altruistic heart