In honor of Black History month, Boston Public Library publishes the annual “Black Is” book list, a compilation of recent works by and about African Americans for adult readers. BPL staff have undertaken the difficult task of narrowing down the list of titles to bring you their top ten favorite books from 2016’s “Black Is” book list.
- God Help the Child
by Toni Morrison
- Loving Day: A Novel
by Mat Johnson
- A Moment of Silence: Midnight III
by Sister Souljah
- The Turner House
by Angela Flournoy
- Alex Haley and the Books That Changed a Nation
by Robert J. Norrell
- Between the World and Me
by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Delta Jewels: In Search of My Grandmother’s Wisdom
by Alysia Burton Steele
- If Someone Says, “You Complete Me,” Run!
by Whoopi Goldberg
- Soul Food Love: Healthy Recipes Inspired by One Hundred Years of Cooking in a Black Family
by Alice Randall and Caroline Randall Williams
- Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand in the Sun, and Be Your Own Person
by Shonda Rhimes
To view the full “Black Is” book list, download a PDF or pick up a copy at any Boston Public Library location.