Summer Reading for Kids
Boston Public Library locations offer free summer programs for children of all ages. This year’s theme is “On Your Mark, Get Set … READ!,” and events include All-Star Story Time, Ready, Set, Make! crafts, and programs hosted by Historic New England, New England Aquarium, and the Museum of Science.
On Your Mark, Get Set … READ! is sponsored by the Boston Public Library, the Massachusetts Library System, the Boston Bruins, and the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
Museum of Science:
- Animal Invaders – Kids discover how animal invaders make their way into homes and avoid detection.
- Reptiles – Children meet live animals and learn about amazing reptile characteristics.
- Science Magic – Kids explore the science behind magic tricks while performing experiments.
- Super-Cold Science – Children learn how dropping an object’s temperature leads to amazing results.
- Night Sky – Children explore the night sky, including stars, planets, and other celestial objects.
- Rockets: There and Back – Kids design, build, and test balloon rockets and reentry parachutes.
Historic New England: Take Me Out to the Ballgame
Ever wonder why our football team is called the Patriots? Or why the Red Sox are named after their socks? Children root, root, root into the history of New England home teams, explore how they were formed, and discover how teams choose a mascot. Participants invent their own team complete with a name, colors, and a mascot and make a team pennant.
All-Star Story Time
Kids exercise their imaginations as our librarians take them on different adventures through wonderful new worlds simply by opening a book.
Ready, Set, Make!
On your marks, get set, be crafty! Kids join our librarians for sports-themed activities. Crafts may vary by location.
New England Aquarium:
Conversations about tide pools, sharks, and lobsters are on the schedule when educators from the New England Aquarium visit.
The ReadBoston StoryMobile visits 12 Boston Public Library locations once a week for 6 weeks this summer to provide fun storytelling events and free books for all children in attendance.