Boston Public Library
Teens

New Anti-Cyber Bullying Hotline

by ccheever@private.bpl.org

Trained public health professionals from the Boston Public Health Commission are staffing the city’s new Anti-Cyber Bullying Hotline – 617-534-5050.  Check out this short PSA (written, directed and produced by students from TechBoston Academy) aimed at ending cyber bullying:

Tags: , ,

13 Responses to “New Anti-Cyber Bullying Hotline”

1. Makaylee says:

Well, i have been Cyber-bullied for more than 2 weeks by this girl Leyla. I have no
    clue how it started but, she has been bullying other people too. she’s called me lots of horrible names. It got to the point that i started crying cause of it. I have pictures of her calling me those mean things. And i’m only 13. :( What do I do. I need you’re advice! Thanks for listening to my story,

Makaylee

• adraves says:

Makaylee, The best thing you can do is call the Anti-Cyber Bullying Hotline (617-534-5050). If you’re not in Boston, talk to one of your teachers or a councelor, or your parents to see if they can help or if they know of a group in your area who can. Sometimes ignoring them helps. If you don’t incite an incident, then they have nothing to hurt you with. Don’t yell back at them, or return their hateful words and actions to them. That will only make things worse. If it continues, seek help from a trusted source as I mentioned above, just don’t wait too long. Good luck Makaylee!

2. Julie says:

My name is Julie and I am 12 years old. I have been cyber bullied because a boy named Anthony made a very mean forward message about me saying i’m fat and people would feel skinny around me. I cried for like an hour. He also called me and said I was a whale and I am really fat. he sent it to all his 68 contacts and that about 78 messages came back saying lol,lmfao and haha. he also sent a picture of a guy eating mcdonalds.plus me my friend and another girl found out that it was posted to facebook. I DON’T WANNA GO TO SCHOOL MONDAY! WHAT DO I DO!!!?? ): ): ): ):

• adraves says:

Julie,

That is a terrible thing that never should have happened. But there are ways you can combat the cyber bullying you’re facing. In fact, there is an entire blog post dedicated to that very topic. Here’s the link: http://bplteenblog.wordpress.com/2011/02/10/cyber-bullying/

I hope the tips here can help you stop Anthony from being as mean as he is. Good luck!
      -Anna, Teen Librarian at the BPL

• Godlovesyou says:

You need to tell your parents and administration at your school. That boy can be given consequences but not if no adult knows whats going on. As far as the bullying you need to ignore it, everyone is beautiful in their own way. Dont listen to them, and remember theirs always going to be people who put you down you have to let them not affect you.

3. Jayme says:

Hello, I’m doing a social action project on bullying because I haven’t seen any projects on it and I think it’s an issue that just keeps growing. I want to know more about it and would like to interview an expert on it. It would be lovely if someone could direct me to someone to interview. Thanks in advance.

• adraves says:

That sounds like a great project. I would direct you to the trained public health professionals from the Boston Public Health Commission, as they’re staffing the Anti-Cyber Bullying Hotline – 617-534-5050. Here’s their phone number. If they can’t do an interview, perhaps they can direct you to someone who can.

4. uhhh these girls wont leave me alone n i asked them to stop n i would like to help kids that get bulled i do at school but then the bulling get worse and we go to the prinipal and he doesnt even really do anything what shoud i do? and How can i help the kids?

5. Holly says:

One of my internet friends has been brutally bullied by an American kid recently. The guy has been telling him to kill himself, found out his real name somehow and got people to spam his facebook with friend requests and hate messages and he’s getting scared for his safety. He’s scared to do anything about it though… His parents will be really mad at him for being online too late at night and they’ll probably punish him. He came to me asking for help because he feels I’m the only person he can trust. Please, I don’t know what to do…

• adraves says:

The best thing you can do is call the Anti-Cyber Bullying Hotline (617-534-5050) and tell his parents the truth. True, your friend’s parents will probably be upset with him for staying on the computer late at night, but at the same time, his safety is the main concern. If his parents truly love him, they will want him safe above all else. I know I would if I were them. They need to know what’s going on so they can take the appropriate actions. Let them help, both his parents and the hotline. They will know what to do. If you need more information, see this link: http://bplteenblog.wordpress.com/2011/02/10/cyber-bullying/ Good luck. And please stay safe. Both of you.

6. Brandon says:

hello my name is brandon. i recently broke up with my girlfriend and now her dad has been sending me messages harrassing me. i am 17 and have a job on top of high school. my mom is still recovering from her surgery on her knee and im not sure how to handle the situation because i have been under so much stress lately. what can i do to stop this. he has threatend to take legal action against me but i have done nothing wrong. as far as i am conserned he is harrasing a minor for no reason what so ever

• adraves says:

Brandon, it sounds to me like you need to either talk to someone at school who might be able to help and/or call your local police. You have every right to seek help and protection. If you need to, you can always call the Cyber Bullying Hotline if you’re unsure about involving people you know. Bullying is bullying, no matter the age of the person doing the bullying, or the person on the receiving end. I hope you can get help and wish you luck.