The computer you are using only accesses library resources. This includes our catalogs and our electronic subscription databases. For full Internet access please visit the Internet Access computers. Please ask staff for assistance.
The Grove Hall Branch has more than thirty computers available for the public to use. The branch features three study rooms and a meeting room as well as a larger space shared with the Grove Hall Community Center.
ASPECTS OF THE COLLECTION
The Grove Hall Branch has a large collection of African-American literature and History. There is also an extensive collection of African American research materials. A Local History collection contains over one hundred books, pamphlets, and documents as well as a collection of local newspapers on micro-fiche. Included are materials about Boston, Roxbury and Grove Hall, some not found in other locations.
Preschool story hours are offered weekly for children.
The Grove Hall Branch is teamed with the Jeremiah Burke High School and the Grove Hall Community Center as part of Mayor Menino’s Community Learning Initiative, a multi-department collaboration aimed at helping Boston’s youth reach their full potential by coordinating learning and recreation throughout the day.
The Branch presents numerous programs during the year. Grove Hall offers art exhibits as well as musical programs in our Jazz Lounge located on the Mezzanine.
The first library in this section of Roxbury opened May 1, 1898 in the rear of Mr. Mowry's
Drug Store at the corner of Warren Street and Haynes Park with one table, eight chairs,
two shelves and 200 books. It was so well patronized that the Trustees of the BPL voted in
1905 to open a reading room. In 1919 the building on the corner of Warren and Savin
Streets officially became the Warren Street Branch Library. In 1926, this branch moved
into its new quarters in the New Roxbury Memorial High School and thus became the Memorial
Branch Library. The Memorial Branch was replaced in December 1970 by the Grove
Hall Branch located at the corner of Warren and Crawford Streets.
On April 4, 2009 the new branch library at 41 Geneva Avenue, Dorchester opened. Located in the newly-renovated Jeremiah E. Burke High School, the new library was designed by Schwartz/Silver Architects. It features a designated teen room and teen librarian, in keeping with its unique configuration, adjacent to the high school.
Library Trustees Chairman Jeffrey B. Rudman, Library President Amy E. Ryan, and Mayor Thomas M. Menino cut the ribbon to open the new Grove Hall Branch.