Boston Public Library locations offer free after-school homework help and mentorship provided by high-achieving high school students. This is open to students in grades K-8. No registration is required.
Beginning in 2014, the Boston Public Library is collaborating with Harvard University to provide SmartTALK training to Homework Help mentors. Since its launch in 2008, SmartTALK has worked to help adequately prepare and train educators and mentors in Cambridge and Boston to help children of all ages develop strong academic and social skills outside of school hours.
Read about our collaboration and the first Homework Help-SmartTALK training of the year in the Harvard Gazette article, “Harvard Helping the Helpers.”
In-person Homework Help
- Homework Help is over for the 2015-16 school year. It will start again in September 2016.
- We are hiring mentors for the 2016-17 school year! Please attend one of the drop-in interview sessions. Bring a completed application and a photocopy of your most recent report card.
- Wednesday, June 15, 3:30-5 p.m. @ Teen Central in the Central Library
- Thursday, June 16, 3:30-5 p.m. @ Grove Hall Branch
- Read the mentor job description before applying.
- To be eligible to work for Homework Help, you must:
- Be a high school sophomore, junior, or senior, have a 3.0 or higher GPA
- Enjoy working with children
- Be able to work 3:30-5:30 p.m. after school at least 2 days per week, September through May
- Bilingual candidates are especially encouraged to apply
- For more information about homework help, email Amanda Bressler firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-859-2325.
Boston Teacher's Union tutors
- The BTU tutoring program has ended for the 2014-15 school year. Please check back in fall 2016 for more information about next year’s program.
Online Homework Help
Online help courtesy of the BPL
- LearningExpress Library can help students from grade school through college improve their skills by taking practice tests, completing exercises, and reading eBooks. What's more, LearningExpress can help college-bound students prepare for the ACT, SAT, and other standardized tests.
- Look for books, CDs, movies, and more in the BPL catalog.
- Search for articles and use books online with our student electronic resources.
Other online help
Other sources for homework help and after school programs in Boston
- BOSTONavigator - The place to search for out-of school time programming in Boston.
- Boston Youth Zone - Find activities, opportunities, and other fun stuff for kids and teens, plus important information and resources for parents.