Download the Homework Help schedule with location information (PDF)
Boston Public Library locations offer free after-school homework help and mentorship provided by high-achieving high school students. This is open to students in grades K-8. No registration is required.
Beginning in 2014, the Boston Public Library is collaborating with Harvard University to provide SmartTALK training to Homework Help mentors. Since its launch in 2008, SmartTALK has worked to help adequately prepare and train educators and mentors in Cambridge and Boston to help children of all ages develop strong academic and social skills outside of school hours.
Read about our collaboration and the first Homework Help-SmartTALK training of the year in the Harvard Gazette article, “Harvard Helping the Helpers.”
In-person Homework Help
- Homework Help is in session October 3, 2016-May 25, 2017, Monday-Thursday, 3:30-5:30 p.m. at the following 10 branches.
- East Boston
- Egleston Square
- Fields Corner
- Grove Hall
- Hyde Park
- Parker Hill
- South End
- West Roxbury
- We are hiring mentors for the 2016-17 school year! Please attend one of the drop-in interview sessions. Bring a completed application and a photocopy of your most recent report card.
- Thursday, September 22, 3:00-4:30 p.m. @ Egleston Square Branch
- iMonday, September 26, 3:00-4:30 p.m. @ Roslindale Branch
- Read the mentor job description before applying.
- To be eligible to work for Homework Help, you must:
- Be a high school sophomore, junior, or senior, have a 3.0 or higher GPA
- Enjoy working with children
- Be able to work 3:30-5:30 p.m. after school at least 2 days per week, September through May
- Bilingual candidates are especially encouraged to apply
- For more information about homework help, email Amanda Bressler firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-859-2325.
Boston Teacher's Union tutors
- BTU teachers are available to help students K-12 with homework for free on select weekdays from 4-6 p.m. during the school year. The program runs September 26, 2016 through May 22, 2017. See flyer for more details.
Online Homework Help
Online help courtesy of the BPL
- LearningExpress Library can help students from grade school through college improve their skills by taking practice tests, completing exercises, and reading eBooks. What's more, LearningExpress can help college-bound students prepare for the ACT, SAT, and other standardized tests.
- Look for books, CDs, movies, and more in the BPL catalog.
- Search for articles and use books online with our student electronic resources.
Other online help
Other sources for homework help and after school programs in Boston
- BOSTONavigator - The place to search for out-of school time programming in Boston.
- Boston Youth Zone - Find activities, opportunities, and other fun stuff for kids and teens, plus important information and resources for parents.