Who may reserve museum passes?
Anyone who has a valid, full-service Metro Boston Library Network library card may reserve museum passes. A valid card is one that has less than $10.00 in current fines. eCards and courtesy cards cannot be used to reserve museum passes.
Only one pass may be booked per family for the same day of use.
Passes will only be distributed to the same person who made the reservation. You cannot pick up a pass for a friend or family member.
A cardholder may authorize another person to pick up their museum pass(es). Fill out a Designee Authorization Form and submit it to the library in person or send in with your designee before sending that designee to pick up the pass. [TOP]
How do I reserve a museum pass?
Passes should be booked in advance as there are a limited number at each location. Passes may be booked online (using the form above), in person, or by phone up to 60 days in advance. You must have your library card number to reserve over the phone. You will need to log in with your library card number and PIN to reserve using the online form. If you have questions about the online reservation system, download the instructions (PDF). [TOP]
How often may I reserve a museum pass?
You may reserve one pass per museum during a 30-day period. During Boston Public Schools school vacation periods, you may be limited to a maximum number of pass reservations during a specific week. [TOP]
How can I check what passes I have reserved?
You can use the online system to check and see what passes you have reserved. You will need to log in with your library card number and PIN. If you have questions about the online reservation system, download the instructions (PDF). [TOP]
Can I cancel my reservation?
Passes may be cancelled one day in advance over the phone or in person. You may cancel a pass two or more days in advance online, over the phone or in person. Same day cancellations are not permitted. If a pass has already been picked up, it must be returned to the owning library prior to cancelling the reservation. [TOP]
When may I pick up a reserved pass?
Some museums provide us with one-time-use disposable passes. These may be picked up at any time after you make your reservation. Other venues provide us with returnable passes that can only be picked up the day of the reservation. Passes must be picked up at the location you reserved them from. All returnable passes must be returned the following day at the pickup location.
Exception: Passes reserved for Sunday may be picked up on the prior Friday or Saturday. During summer hours, weekend passes may be picked up on Fridays. Please check the hours of the pickup location to ensure it will be open when you plan to pick up the pass. [TOP]
When and how must I return a pass after use?
Disposable passes do not need to be returned. Returnable passes must be returned to the same location where they were picked up, and they must be returned before 12 noon on the next day that library is open. Passes may not be left in overnight book drops, so please check the hours of the location to make sure you return the pass while we are open. [TOP]
What happens if I return a pass late or lose it?
If passes are not returned on time, the fine per day is $10.00. Lost passes will be assessed at the replacement rate determined by the Boston Public Library. [TOP]
What passes are available?
Unless otherwise indicated, the following passes grant full admission to the venue. Restrictions other than those listed here may apply. Please review them by clicking the "Some pass details" link when booking a pass online.
Available at all Boston Public Library
Available only at the location(s) listed:
- Edward M. Kennedy Institute – Coupon admits two adults at discounted rate. Massachusetts residents under 18 years of age receive free admission. (Central Library, Connolly)
- Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) – Discounted pass, $5 per person; will admit up to 2 adults. (Connolly, Central Library)
- Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum – Discounted pass, $5 per person; weekdays - will admit up to 4 visitors; weekends and holidays - will admit up to 2 visitors. (Central Library, Connolly, Roslindale, West Roxbury)
- John F Kennedy Library and Museum – Discounted pass, $3 per person; will admit up to 2 adults. (Central Library, Connolly, West Roxbury)
- Massachusetts Audubon Wildlife Sanctuaries – This pass allows up to four patrons per visit. Each visitor will be charged $2.00. Children under two are admitted free. (West Roxbury)
- Zoo New England – Discounted pass, $9 per adult and $6 per child up to 6 people; pass also good for 10% discount at concessions and in gift store. Note: prices on some older passes may be different than what is listed here; the price on a pass is accurate for that pass.
(Availability varies. Please see the museum reservation system - "Reserve a Museum Pass" box - for location availability.)