Who may reserve museum passes?
Anyone who has a valid, full-service Metro Boston Library Network library card may reserve museum passes. A valid card is one that has less than $10.00 in current fines. eCards and courtesy cards cannot be used to reserve museum passes.
Only one pass may be booked per family for the same day of use.
Passes will only be distributed to the same person who made the reservation. You cannot pick up a pass for a friend or family member.
A cardholder may authorize another person to pick up their museum pass(es). Fill out a Designee Authorization Form and submit it to the library in person or send in with your designee before sending that designee to pick up the pass. [TOP]
How do I reserve a museum pass?
Passes should be booked in advance as there are a limited number at each location. Passes may be booked online (using the form above), in person, or by phone up to 60 days in advance. You must have your library card number to reserve over the phone. You will need to log in with your library card number and PIN to reserve using the online form. If you have questions about the online reservation system, download the instructions (PDF). [TOP]
How often may I reserve a museum pass?
You may reserve one pass per museum during a 30-day period. During Boston Public Schools school vacation periods, you may be limited to a maximum number of pass reservations during a specific week. [TOP]
How can I check what passes I have reserved?
You can use the online system to check and see what passes you have reserved. You will need to log in with your library card number and PIN. If you have questions about the online reservation system, download the instructions (PDF). [TOP]
Can I cancel my reservation?
Passes may be cancelled one day in advance over the phone or in person. You may cancel a pass two or more days in advance online, over the phone or in person. Same day cancellations are not permitted. If a pass has already been picked up, it must be returned to the owning library prior to cancelling the reservation. [TOP]
When may I pick up a reserved pass?
Some museums provide us with one-time-use disposable passes. These may be picked up at any time after you make your reservation. Other venues provide us with returnable passes that may only be picked up the day before or on the day of use. Passes must be picked up at the location you reserved them from.
Exception: Passes reserved for Sunday may be picked up on the prior Friday or Saturday. During summer hours, weekend passes may be picked up on Fridays. Please check the hours of the pickup location to ensure it will be open when you plan to pick up the pass. [TOP]
When and how must I return a pass after use?
Disposable passes do not need to be returned. Returnable passes must be returned to the same location where they were picked up, and they must be returned before 12 noon on the next day that library is open. Passes may not be left in overnight book drops, so please check the hours of the location to make sure you return the pass while we are open. [TOP]
What happens if I return a pass late or lose it?
If passes are not returned on time, the fine per day is $10.00. Lost passes will be assessed at the replacement rate determined by the Boston Public Library. [TOP]
What passes are available?
Unless otherwise indicated, the following passes grant full admission to the venue. Restrictions other than those listed here may apply. Please review them by clicking the "Some pass details" link when booking a pass online.
Available at all Boston Public Library
- Boston Children's Museum – Discounted pass, half-price per person; will admit up to 4 people.
- Boston Harbor Islands – Two for one ferry passes, each valid for up to four people; available seasonally on weekdays only. Note: To use this pass you must make a reservation. Please call the Boston Harbor Cruises at 617-227-4321.
- DCR Pass (Department of Conservation and Recreation) – Entitles the bearer to free parking for one vehicle (excluding vans or buses).
- Museum of Fine Arts – Discounted pass; $10 per person, will admit up to 2 people to general admission.
Sponsored by the Museum of Fine Arts and the City-Wide Friends of the Boston Public Library.
- Museum of Science – Free pass; will admit up to 4 people.
- New England Aquarium – Free pass; will admit up to 4 people; September - June only.
Sponsored by the New England Aquarium and the City-Wide Friends of the Boston Public Library.
- USS Constitution Museum – One pass allows free admission for up to nine people. The pass must be picked up and returned to the loaning location.
Available only at the location(s) listed:
- Boston by Foot – Member privileges on any tours for up to 4 people; does not include architectural river or harbor tours. Please consult the Boston by Foot website for scheduled tour dates before booking your pass. (West Roxbury)
- Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) – Discounted pass, $5 per person; will admit up to 2 adults. (Central Library)
- Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum – Discounted pass, $5 per person; weekdays - will admit up to 4 visitors; weekends and holidays - will admit up to 2 visitors. (Central Library, Connolly, Roslindale, West Roxbury)
- John F Kennedy Library and Museum – Discounted pass, $3 per person; will admit up to 2 adults. (Central Library, West Roxbury)
- Massachusetts Audubon Wildlife Sanctuaries – This pass allows up to four patrons per visit. Each visitor will be charged $2.00. Children under two are admitted free. (West Roxbury)
- PawSox Library Pass Coupon – Coupon; $27 for six general admission tickets, or $5 Per Ticket. Note: the coupon holder must turn in pass at PawSox Box Office to get actual game tickets. If the game is sold out you will not be able to use the coupon to gain entry. Please contact the Pawsox box office for ticket availability at 401-724-7300. (Connolly)
- Zoo New England – Discounted pass, $9 per adult and $6 per child up to 6 people; pass also good for 10% discount at concessions and in gift store. Note: prices on some older passes may be different than what is listed here; the price on a pass is accurate for that pass.
(Availability varies. Please see the museum reservation system - "Reserve a Museum Pass" box - for location availability.)