The Homework Assistance Program (HAP) is a free after-school service led by Harvard University trained teen mentors that offers homework help, mentorship, and activities for students in grades K–8. Join online for a space to work on homework with peers and extra guidance on assignments in any subject, from sciences to humanities. Bilingual help in English and various languages is available.
HAP mentors returned to branches and the program re-started in-person on February 28.
Join Virtual HAP online on Zoom at the following link:
Please check back for updates. Additional languages will be announced.
|Virtual HAP on Zoom||Monday - Thursday
3:30 - 5:30 PM
|Cantonese: Monday & Wednesday
Spanish: Tuesday & Thursday
Vietnamese: Monday - Thursday
Starting the week of February 28, join in person 3:30 - 5:30 pm at the below branches. Bilingual help in English and various languages is available at select locations:
|Branch||Days||Languages Available in Addition to English|
|Adams Street||Monday - Thursday||Vietnamese: Monday - Thursday|
|Brighton||Monday - Thursday||Vietnamese: Monday & Wednesday
Pashto: Monday - Thursday
|Codman Square||Monday - Thursday||Vietnamese: Monday & Wednesday|
|Connolly||Monday & Tuesday||Spanish: Monday & Tuesday|
|East Boston||Monday - Thursday||Arabic: Monday & Wednesday
Spanish: Monday - Thursday
Vietnamese: Monday & Tuesday
|Egleston Square||Monday - Thursday||Haitian Creole: Tuesday & Thursday
Somali: Monday & Wednesday
Spanish: Tuesday & Thursday
|Fields Corner||Monday - Thursday||Vietnamese: Monday & Tuesday
Tagalog: Wednesday & Thursday
|Grove Hall||Monday, Tuesday, & Thursday||Spanish: Monday & Tuesday|
|Hyde Park||Monday - Thursday||Vietnamese: Tuesday & Thursday
Haitian Creole: Monday & Wednesday
|Jamaica Plain||Monday - Thursday||Farsi: Tuesday & Thursday|
|Lower Mills||Monday - Thursday|
|Mattapan||Monday & Wednesday||Portuguese: Monday & Wednesday|
|Parker Hill||Monday - Thursday||Chinese: Monday & Wednesday|
|Roslindale||Monday & Wednesday|
|Roxbury||Monday - Thursday||Arabic: Monday & Thursday
Spanish: Tuesday & Wednesday
|South End||Monday - Thursday||Arabic: Tuesday & Wednesday|
Please check back for updates. Additional days and languages will be announced.
Harvard University offers training sessions to BPL’s Homework Assistance Program (HAP) Mentors throughout the school year to support their work with younger students. Using Harvard’s SmartTALK: Homework Support for Kids model, HAP Mentors develop skills such as building relationships, asking good questions, and using games to build academic and critical thinking skills. Four lead HAP Mentors, selected from the previous year's cohort of HAP Mentors, assist with the delivery of trainings.
Other Homework Help Resources
Boston Teachers Union Tutors
The Boston Teachers Union (BTU) program will be available at BPL branches through May 26, 2022.
Online help courtesy of the BPL
- LearningExpress Library can help students from grade school through college improve their skills by taking practice tests, completing exercises, and reading eBooks. What's more, LearningExpress can help college-bound students prepare for the ACT, SAT, and other standardized tests.
- Look for books, CDs, movies, and more in the BPL catalog.
- Search for articles and use books online with our student electronic resources.
Other online help
- Check out the MCAS help, opens a new window available from the MA Department of Education.
- Prepare for the SAT or ACT for free at Number2.com, opens a new window or The College Board, opens a new window.
More Sources for Homework Help and After School Programs in Boston
- BOSTONavigator - The place to search for out-of school time programming in Boston.
- Boston Youth Zone - Find activities, opportunities, and other fun stuff for kids and teens, plus important information and resources for parents.