The Homework Assistance Program (HAP) is a free after-school service led by teen mentors that offers homework help, mentorship, and activities for students in grades K–8. Join in person or online for a space to work on homework with peers and extra guidance on assignments in any subject, from sciences to humanities. No registration is required.
For the 2021-2022 school year, HAP will run from September 20, 2021 - May 12, 2022 at select branches.
Join in person 3:30 - 5:30 PM on available days at the following branches:
|Adams Street||Monday - Thursday||Vietnamese: Monday - Thursday|
|Brighton||Tuesday & Thursday|
|Codman Square||Monday - Thursday||Vietnamese: Monday & Wednesday|
|East Boston||Tuesday & Thursday||Spanish: Tuesday & Thursday|
|Egleston Square||Monday - Thursday||Haitian Creole: Tuesday & Thursday
Spanish: Tuesday & Thursday
|Fields Corner||Monday & Tuesday||Vietnamese: Monday & Tuesday|
|Hyde Park||Monday - Thursday||Haitian Creole: Monday & Wednesday
Vietnamese: Tuesday & Thursday
|Jamaica Plain||Tuesday & Thursday|
|Lower Mills||Monday, Wednesday, Thursday|
|Mattapan||Tuesday & Thursday||Haitian Creole: Tuesday & Thursday|
|Parker Hill||Tuesday & Thursday|
|Roslindale||closed for renovations|
|Roxbury||Monday - Thursday||Spanish: Tuesday & Thursday
Portuguese: Tuesday & Wednesday
|South End||Monday & Wednesday|
|Uphams Corner||Monday - Thursday|
Please check back for updates. Additional days and languages will be announced.
Join Virtual HAP online on Zoom at the following link:
|Virtual HAP on Zoom||Monday - Thursday
3:30 - 5:30 PM
|Arabic: Monday & Tuesday
Spanish: Tuesday & Thursday
Vietnamese: Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday
Harvard University offers training sessions to BPL’s Homework Assistance Program (HAP) Mentors throughout the school year to support their work with younger students. Using Harvard’s SmartTALK: Homework Support for Kids model, HAP Mentors develop skills such as building relationships, asking good questions, and using games to build academic and critical thinking skills. Four lead HAP Mentors, selected from the previous year's cohort of HAP Mentors, assist with the delivery of trainings.
Other Homework Help Resources
Boston Teachers Union Tutors
The Boston Teachers Union (BTU) runs the Homework Helpers program at Boston Public Library branches. Current and former Boston Public School teachers will be available to help with homework from September 20, 2021 - May 23, 2022 Mondays - Thursdays from 4:00 - 6:00 PM.
Online help courtesy of the BPL
- LearningExpress Library can help students from grade school through college improve their skills by taking practice tests, completing exercises, and reading eBooks. What's more, LearningExpress can help college-bound students prepare for the ACT, SAT, and other standardized tests.
- Look for books, CDs, movies, and more in the BPL catalog.
- Search for articles and use books online with our student electronic resources.
Other online help
- Check out the MCAS help, opens a new window available from the MA Department of Education.
- Prepare for the SAT or ACT for free at Number2.com, opens a new window or The College Board, opens a new window.
More Sources for Homework Help and After School Programs in Boston
- BOSTONavigator - The place to search for out-of school time programming in Boston.
- Boston Youth Zone - Find activities, opportunities, and other fun stuff for kids and teens, plus important information and resources for parents.