- World language collection in Spanish
- Local history collection
- A set of historical Boston maps on permanent display.
- Walled garden
- The South Boston Branch first opened in April 1872 in the Masonic building at 372 West Broadway, the second branch library established in the United States.
- In 1948, the branch closed when the Masonic building was sold and was reopened in June 1950 in a storefront at 385-8 West Broadway until it was destroyed by fire in May 1957.
- The present location opened on October 31, 1957, consolidating the City Point Branch and the South Boston Branch.