Boston Public Library locations offer free after-school homework help and mentorship provided by high-achieving high school students. The Homework Assistance Program (HAP), previously called Homework Help, is open to students in grades K-8. No registration is required.
Read about our collaboration with Harvard University through SmartTALK training in the Harvard Gazette article, “Harvard Helping the Helpers.”, opens a new window
Homework Assistance Program (HAP) Online
Starting Monday, September 21, 2020, the Boston Public Library will offer free online homework help and mentorship on Zoom provided by trained high-achieving high school students.
The Homework Assistance Program or HAP (formerly called Homework Help) is open to students in grades K-8 on a drop-in basis, no registration is required.
Schedule: Monday - Thursday 3:30 - 5:30 p.m. from September 21, 2020 - May 14, 2021. HAP is not offered during school holidays or vacations.
Four Zoom calls representing groups of Library branches that would host HAP meetings after school in-person are available. Please join the call that includes the branch you would regularly attend based on your school or home:
|Zoom Call||Zoom Link|
|Zoom 1: Brighton, Connolly, East Boston, Honan-Allston||https://boston-public-library.zoom.us/my/hap01|
|Zoom 2: Egleston Square, Parker Hill, Roxbury, South End||https://boston-public-library.zoom.us/my/hap02|
|Zoom 3: Jamaica Plain, Hyde Park, Mattapan, West Roxbury||https://boston-public-library.zoom.us/my/hap03|
|Zoom 4: Codman Square, Fields Corner, Grove Hall, Lower Mills, Uphams Corner||https://boston-public-library.zoom.us/my/hap04|
All K-8 students who go to school in and around the Boston area are welcome to drop in to the program through the Zoom calls above. If you do not see your BPL branch listed, this indicates that your branch is not hosting HAP this year due to construction, or that your branch does not regularly host the program. During this time online, please join the Zoom call that contains the branch closest to your school or home.
Zoom Meetings can be accessed by computer, tablet, smartphone, or telephone.
- To join by desktop or laptop: If you have the Zoom application on your computer, click the link you would like to join and select "Open zoom.us". If you want to stay in your web browser, select "start from your browser".
- To join by tablet or smartphone: First download the "ZOOM Cloud Meetings" application to your device then click the link you would like to join above.
- To call in by telephone: Dial (646) 558-8656 and enter one of the following Meeting IDs to join the call:
- Zoom 1: 325 806 6501
- Zoom 2: 725 238 6439
- Zoom 3: 206 200 9736
- Zoom 4: 415 730 0216
For more information about the Homework Assistance Program email Lina Raciukaitis at email@example.com.
Boston Teachers Union Tutors
The Boston Teachers Union (BTU) is hosting the Homework Helpers program this year on Zoom. Current and former Boston Public School teachers on the call are available to offer homework assistance to students in grades K-8. The program starts on September 28, 2020 and runs throughout the school year until May 21, 2021. Homework Helpers is offered Monday-Friday from 3:00-5:00 p.m.
Other Online Homework Help Resources
Online help courtesy of the BPL
- LearningExpress Library can help students from grade school through college improve their skills by taking practice tests, completing exercises, and reading eBooks. What's more, LearningExpress can help college-bound students prepare for the ACT, SAT, and other standardized tests.
- Look for books, CDs, movies, and more in the BPL catalog.
- Search for articles and use books online with our student electronic resources.
Other online help
- Check out the MCAS help, opens a new window available from the MA Department of Education.
- Prepare for the SAT or ACT for free at Number2.com, opens a new window or The College Board, opens a new window.
Other sources for homework help and after school programs in Boston
- BOSTONavigator - The place to search for out-of school time programming in Boston.
- Boston Youth Zone - Find activities, opportunities, and other fun stuff for kids and teens, plus important information and resources for parents.