Boston Public Library locations offer free after-school homework help and mentorship provided by high-achieving high school students. This is open to students in grades K-8. No registration is required. View the schedule and contact information for homework help in the participating branch libraries.
Read about our collaboration and the first Homework Help-SmartTALK training of the year in the Harvard Gazette article, “Harvard Helping the Helpers.”
In-person Homework Help
- The Homework Help program for 2018-19 starts on October 1 and ends on May 24. Please take a look at the schedule to find out if the program is offered in your branch.
- We are not currently hiring mentors for the 2018 – 2019 school year.
- For more information about homework help, email Theresa Furbish at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617.859.2325.
Boston Teacher's Union tutors
- BTU teachers are available to help students K-12 with homework for free on select weekdays from 4-6 p.m. during the school year. The program begins on September 24 and ends on May 23. Please check out the schedule to see where the program is being offered.
Online Homework Help
Online help courtesy of the BPL
- LearningExpress Library can help students from grade school through college improve their skills by taking practice tests, completing exercises, and reading eBooks. What's more, LearningExpress can help college-bound students prepare for the ACT, SAT, and other standardized tests.
- Look for books, CDs, movies, and more in the BPL catalog.
- Search for articles and use books online with our student electronic resources.
Other online help
- Check out the MCAS help available from the MA Department of Education.
- Prepare for the SAT or ACT for free at Number2.com or The College Board.
Other sources for homework help and after school programs in Boston
- BOSTONavigator - The place to search for out-of school time programming in Boston.
- Boston Youth Zone - Find activities, opportunities, and other fun stuff for kids and teens, plus important information and resources for parents.