Download the Homework Help schedule with location information (PDF)
Boston Public Library locations offer free after-school homework help and mentorship provided by high-achieving high school students. This is open to students in grades K-8. No registration is required. The Homework Help program is made possible by the Boston Public Library Foundation.
Beginning in 2014, the Boston Public Library is collaborating with Harvard University to provide SmartTALK training to Homework Help mentors. Since its launch in 2008, SmartTALK has worked to help adequately prepare and train educators and mentors in Cambridge and Boston to help children of all ages develop strong academic and social skills outside of school hours.
Read about our collaboration and the first Homework Help-SmartTALK training of the year in the Harvard Gazette article, “Harvard Helping the Helpers.”
In-person Homework Help
- Homework Help runs from September 15, 2014 to May 22, 2015 and is available in most branches Monday through Thursday, 3:30-5:30 p.m. Please see the Homework Help schedule for locations and times.
- Free drop-in homework help, academic support, and mentoring available during the school year in all subject areas to students in grades K – 8. No registration required.
- Homework help is provided by high-achieving high school student mentors.
- To be eligible to work for Homework Help, you must be a high school sophomore, junior, or senior, have a 3.0 or higher GPA, enjoy working with children, and be able to work 3:30-5:30 p.m. after school at least 2 days per week.
- For more information about homework help, email Amanda Bressler firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-859-2325.
Boston Teacher’s Union tutors
- Teachers from the Boston Public Schools offer tutoring for students in all grades
- BTU tutoring will begin in all locations on September 22, 2014 and end on May 21, 2015.
Online Homework Help
Online help courtesy of the BPL
- LearningExpress Library can help students from grade school through college improve their skills by taking practice tests, completing exercises, and reading eBooks. What's more, LearningExpress can help college-bound students prepare for the ACT, SAT, and other standardized tests.
- Look for books, CDs, movies, and more in the BPL catalog.
- Search for articles and use books online with our student electronic resources.
Other online help
Other sources for homework help and after school programs in Boston
- BOSTONavigator - The place to search for out-of school time programming in Boston.
- Boston Youth Zone - Find activities, opportunities, and other fun stuff for kids and teens, plus important information and resources for parents.