Mind and Body
General Mental Health Resources
- NIMH: Child and Adolescent Mental Health – The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is the lead federal agency for research on mental illness and health. Their website offers expert information, statistics, and resources for teens to learn about and address mental health problems.
- Helpguide - Helpguide is a nonprofit organization that provides evidence-based information and self-help tools so that their readers can improve their mental health and make healthy changes. This portal is a starting point for exploring their articles and resources on a variety of mental health topics and issues.
Anxiety & Depression
- NIMH: Anxiety Disorders – The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) provides an overview defining anxiety and exploring different types and treatments of anxiety disorders.
- Mayo Clinic: Teen Depression – The Mayo Clinic is one of the top medical centers in the United States. This guide discusses the symptoms, causes, and treatments of depression in teens, and briefly touches on other mood disorders.
- Psych Central: Depression – Psych Central is a provider of mental health information on a wide range of topics. Their depression portal has articles and information to help you learn more about depression, its connections with other conditions, and ways to cope with symptoms.
- Helpguide: Cutting and Self-Harm – This article discusses why people self-harm, suggests alternative ways to cope, and talks about how you can help yourself or a friend stop self-harming.
- Mayo Clinic: Self-Injury/Cutting – The Mayo Clinic offers a thorough guide defining self-harm, discussing why people self-harm, and exploring how they can get help.
Stress Management & Self-Help
- Headspace – Use your library card to access the Headspace app and experience the benefits of meditation through guided meditations, animations, articles, and videos.
- Note: The BPL has a limited number of licenses to assign to BPL cardholders. Licenses expire on the 1st of each calendar month, but you may return here to obtain a new license. This resource requires you to register for an individual Headspace account.
- My Therapy Cards: Teen Edition – My Therapy Cards have been designed to guide you through new self-discoveries and insights that will help you face life's challenges and evolve into your highest, most effective self. My Therapy Cards can be checked out from the library and are available in Teen, Women, and Men Editions.
Nutrition, Exercise, & Sleep
- National Institutes of Health: Take Charge of Your Health – This guide, created by experts on diabetes and digestive diseases, helps teens learn how to choose healthy and nutritious food, be physically active, and get enough sleep.
- Healthline: Exercise for Teenagers – This guide, written by medical professionals, talks about the benefits of exercise, helps you plan exercise around your physical and mental health, and suggests exercises you can try at home. The authors wrote it with parents in mind, but it has great tips for teens!
- Sleep Foundation: Teens and Sleep – This expert article discusses how much sleep teens need, the benefits and importance of sleep, and tips to get consistent, restful sleep.
- Sidney Borum Jr. Health Center
Visit: 142 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116
The Sidney Borum Jr. Health Center, known as the Borum, is a program of Fenway Health that provides safe, non-judgmental care for young people ages 12–29 who may not feel comfortable going anywhere else. No one is turned away – they'll do whatever it takes to help you. The Borum is affiliated with Beth Israel Lahey Health and with Boston Children’s Hospital. It is licensed as a health center, mental health clinic, and substance abuse center by the Department of Public Health.
- Planned Parenthood: For Teens – Planned Parenthood delivers vital reproductive health care, sex education, and information to millions of women, men, and young people worldwide. This portal is full of information about sex, relationships, and your body.
- Planned Parenthood: Greater Boston Health Center
Visit: 1055 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215
Planned Parenthood’s Greater Boston Health Center provides a full spectrum of health care services to patients with or without insurance.