At this point, there are few people who have not been impacted in some way by the COVID-19 virus. Here at the Boston Public Library, we are doing everything in our power to continue to bring you important services.
We have also compiled a Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resource Guide that you can use to find authoritative information about the health crisis.
All locations closed
All BPL locations are closed until further notice. All online services will remain available.
All events cancelled
As a preventative measure to minimize the spread of COVID-19, all Boston Public Library programs and events have been cancelled. This includes all events—classes, programs, and workshops—at all of our branches.
As always, we are closely following the directives of the City of Boston and the Boston Public Health Commission.
Don’t worry about due dates
- During this time, we are expanding automatic renewals, and allowing people to keep their books, DVD’s and all other materials for up to 15 weeks, instead of the usual 3 weeks.
- We are waiving all late fines for all materials until June 30.
- Please do not bring your materials back until the library reopens.
- We have pushed back library card expiration dates. If your card is due for renewal, you will have until October to renew it.
- We are increasing the limits on accrued fines before an account is blocked. Use of online library services will not be suspended for patrons during this period.
- In the coming days and weeks, we will increase our online services, including ebooks, downloadable movies, audio books, and other information resources.
Items on hold
If you received an email from us that your item is available for pick up, you will be unable to pick up your item until we reopen. When we reopen, your item will be waiting for you on the holds shelf.
If your materials were time sensitive and you don’t want them any more, we would be grateful if you would cancel your hold by emailing email@example.com.
If your item says “in transit,” it is sitting in our libraries waiting to get to you. Your item will be waiting for you on the holds shelf when we reopen.
If you forgot to pick up your hold before we closed, we will keep all current holds on the shelf for 7 days after we re-open.
Commonwealth Catalog items and other ILL items will not accrue late fees until May 1.